Thursday, July 22, 2010

Goodbye, Marlboro Lights. Hello, Marlboro Gold Pack.




http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/04/business/main6548234.shtml
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/18/health/18tobacco.html

" Goodbye, Marlboro Lights. Hello, Marlboro Gold Pack.

"Light" cigarettes are going up in smoke by the end of June, but their names and packaging are getting a colorful makeover.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says cigarette packs no longer can feature names such as "light," "mild," "medium" or "low," which many smokers wrongly think are less harmful than "full-flavor" cigarettes.

Cigarette makers are replacing those words with colors such as gold, silver, blue and orange on brands that make up more than half of the smokes sold across the country. "

Is the government now going to force beers to be called Miller-Blue, Budweiser-Blue instead of light.

Any reasonable person would know that smoking isn't good. While smoking "light" cigarettes may be less damaging in the long run (older age). Light cigs are just as addicting though, and you may as well be smoking menthols (as long as it isn't cold). I like my cigarettes and I don't get lights because I like nicotine. If I was going to smoke lights then why smoke in the first place.

I don't mind government controlling stuff but making light cigs become colors like "Gold" might not be the best message to the kids. And isn't associating cigarettes with colors likely to get children s attention.

Why can't the government let us buy cigarettes for like $2.oo a pack. I dont see why theres all this anti-smoker friendly movement going around. Yes smoking is bad for you, smoking light cigs is just as bad as other types. I'll still smoke, but I don't smoke lights because I'm a man (not trying to sound sexist).

No comments:

Post a Comment